In honor of Countrywide Nourishment Month, which runs by the month of March, the hottest episode of Speaking of … Higher education of Charleston is all about foodstuff how to try to eat sustainably, reduce food waste and enjoy scrumptious area fruits and veggies from our campus farmers current market.
The world’s populace has grown from 5 billion in 1987 to pretty much 8 billion these days, but our sources can not keep up. Agriculture and relevant land-use improve account for nearly 25% of international greenhouse gas emissions. In this episode we sit down with Regan Henry, registered dietitian nutritionist and qualified having condition specialist for Eating Providers at the School of Charleston. Henry shares her wealth of information and gives recommendations on how to adopt healthy and sustainable ingesting routines.
Highlighted on this Episode
Regan Henry is a Charleston indigenous. She joined the College or university of Charleston in April 2022 as the registered dietitian for Dining Companies.
Her fascination in sustainable having commenced throughout her school days when she started studying motivators for area food intake and other sustainable behaviors among college or university college students. And she’s had a enthusiasm for functioning with higher education pupils at any time since.
Students can satisfy with Henry to converse about anything from their individual overall health targets to handling food stuff allergic reactions and dietary limits to studying how to plan and put together meals independently. Henry operates with campus chefs to help acquire the thriller out of balanced taking in. Dining Companies recognizes and accommodates foodstuff allergic reactions, choices and exclusive nutritional demands in a way that’s individualized, delicate and supportive.
Registered Dietitian services for food strategy holders consist of:
- Diet consultations
- Eating hall tours
- Meals allergy options
If you have any thoughts or considerations pertaining to your nutritional demands, you should make contact with Henry at [email protected].
Ideas for healthy consuming:
Less animal merchandise, specially purple meat, and more fruits, greens, nuts and legumes.
Take into account making small, reasonable adjustments to your eating plan. Consuming plant-ahead meals is a way to emphasize healthy plants at the heart of the plate. Meat can be additional as a taste enhancer, but in lesser portions than most of us are used to.
Tips for sustainable feeding on:
- Consume less animal-based mostly meals. The creation of animal-centered foods is linked with better greenhouse fuel emissions, with dairy and purple meat possessing the best influence. Production of animal-primarily based meals helps make up two-thirds of all agricultural greenhouse fuel emissions and needs much more than 75% of agricultural land use.
- Cut down food squander and prepare meals forward of time. When scheduling your meals, do an stock of what you by now have on hand. Make your grocery record, stick to it and only obtain what you need to have so absolutely nothing goes to squander.
- Choose your deliver sensibly. Get the hideous deliver if you’re heading to use it in a soup, sauce or casserole. Frozen and canned create alternatives are wonderful for lessening food waste because they have for a longer period shelf lives and are just as nutritious as new deliver.
- There are lots of positive aspects to taking in locally, from an environmental sustainability lens to supporting our area economic system by procuring at farmers markets.
Recommendations for foodstuff insecurity on campus:
- The Lowcountry Meals Financial institution, in partnership with the College or university of Charleston’s Riley Heart for Livable Communities and the Town of Charleston, has an on-line, interactive Lowcountry Foodstuff Finder Map, which assists persons in need come across no cost food stuff in Charleston County and beyond.
- The College’s Cougar Pantry gives food at no price tag to pupils, no thoughts requested.
- Swipe Away Starvation is a way for pupils with meal strategies to donate unused food faucets to assist pupils facing foods insecurity.
Campus Dish: Menus for Liberty Clean Food items Firm and City Bistro are housed right here, such as the vegan/vegetarian/interesting foodstuff icons pointed out.
CofC Eating Instagram (Consists of communications about wellness activities and farmers marketplaces)
Charleston Farmers Current market
SC Dept. of Agriculture source for regional foods